The autumn sowing of winter crops in Ukraine in 2022 and the beginning of the sowing in spring give grounds for the first cautious forecasts for the harvest in 2023. This was reported on March 21 by the press service of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy of Ukraine.
The projected area of grain and oil crops for the 2023 harvest on the territory controlled by Ukraine is 19.3 million hectares.
This is actually comparable to the figure for the previous season – 19.8 million hectares. At the same time, the area with winter crops for the 2023 harvest was 1 million hectares less than in the previous season. While spring crops are expected to be 556,000 hectares more.
The total sown areas of grains and pulses this year the ministry predicts at a level of 10.24 million hectares. This is 1.409 million hectares less compared to 2022.
- Winter wheat – 4.166 million hectares (-834 thousand hectares);
- Spring wheat – 285 thousand hectares (+67 thousand hectares);
- Winter barley – 536 thousand hectares (-255 thousand hectares);
- Spring barley – 1.041 million ha (+111 thousand ha);
- Corn – 3.618 million ha (-451 thousand ha).
- Unlike grain crops, the sown areas under the main types of oilseeds will likely increase:
- Sunflower – 5.641 million hectares (+476 thousand hectares);
- Rapeseed – 1.374 million hectares (+110 thousand hectares);
- Soybeans – 1.841 million hectares (+334 thousand hectares).
A reduction in the area under grain crops, together with a projected reduction in average yields, will affect the volume of the crop.
Thus, the total gross harvest of grains and pulses in 2023 may reach 44.3 million tons. The previous year’s result was 53.1 million tons. In particular, the wheat harvest is expected to reach 16.6 million tons (20.5 million tons 2022), barley – 4.8 million tons (5.6 million tons), and corn – 21.7 million tons (25.6 million tons).
At the same time, the gross production of oilseeds is expected to increase to 19.2 million tons against 18.2 million tons last year. In particular, the sunflower harvest is projected at 11.5 million tons (11.1 million tons), rapeseed – 3.8 million tons (3.7 million tons), soybeans – 3.9 million tons (3.4 million tons). ).
We note that these forecasts regarding gross collection indicators are preliminary and will be adjusted during the year depending on circumstances, primarily weather conditions.